Sunday, August 19, 2012

People of an Open Heart

     Today I told a friend that, "I don't have an open mind, just an open heart."  I still think that is true, but saying it just made me think about it for awhile.  It seems like a very liberal idea that love can fix everything, but isn't that also true in the kingdom of heaven?  Obviously the two kinds of love each party is talking about is very different, but still, even in the Bible says out of faith, hope, and love the greatest of all is love.

     I understand that everything we do on this earth effects our spirituality.  I agree with the idea that the physical world and the spiritual world are directly entangled.  We don't have to travel into some mythical, transcendental state of mind, even though it can feel like that some times.  What we do in the spirit directly effects the natural, and the natural in the spiritual.  But this earth, the ground we stand on, the wind we suck in with the very last muscles in our lungs, and the fresh smell of the recently cut grass, it all is an illusion.

     Reality is in the kingdom.  The more we lose ourselves from this world and into the kingdom of God we start to see what is important and what is superficial.  The hunger for the knowledge of men quickly becomes pointless and will get you no where.  All the things we have ever wanted to learn or could ever possibly learn could never come from a mere man trapped in this flesh cage unfilled with the Holy Spirit.  I will put my time, my faith, my knowledge into the one who created it all.  The master mind, divine orchestrator of all that exists.  His word is one of the best ways to do that.  If you want to gain wisdom seek it in the right places.  LOSE YOUR MIND!
   
     I choose to live with an open heart.  Love the Lord your God with all your heart.  That is the first step.  Secondly, love your neighbor as yourself.  The rest will fall into place if you live according to that love.  I will be a man of the heart.  I will love the beaten, the broken, the ones looked over, the "normal" people, and I have great friends that better keep me accountable to that.  We need to have a common heart for loving one another.  That's is what the fellowship of Christians should be, iron sharpening iron.

     This is most certainly something I need to work on, and I pray for everyday.  I hope that we can all be people of the heart and join in common union towards what the Lord has commanded of us.

                                                               Thanks, Nate

1 comment: