Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Jack, Outlets, and Movement. You Thought That was Just Notes on My Arm.

Jack:
     I was talking to a co-worker today, and he said, "Some days I just want to hurry up get my work done, and then go home.  But then I realize that I'm probably going to do nothing after work anyway.  So I don't know why I'm in such a hurry anyway."

     It got me to thinking how true that was.  Often times I've found myself waiting for a task to be done so I could move on to another task, that I'll just wait to get done with, and the pattern repeats.  Basically our days become stamps of the previous and we are always in a rush to make the same stamp as the day before.  Maybe if we slow down and check out our surroundings once in a while the stamp patterns will change.
   
     I quoted two different Jack Johnson songs in one quote when my co-worker, (Tom) mentioned his concept of the day to day.  The songs were, "Inaudible Melodies" and "Breakdown."  "Slow down everyone, you're moving too fast."  "All the people on the street walkin' as fast as their feet can take 'em, I just stroll through the town."

     For the last month or so I have been trying really hard to not let things tick me off.  Instead of waking up and thinking about how upset I am about an argument over nothing the day before, I wake up with a clean slate, and throw those thoughts away.  Forgive and forget!  I'm about 110% positive that my purpose on this planet is to love, and love unconditionally at that.

Outlets:
     I think everyone needs some sort of outlet to withdraw from stress and social friction.  For example, drawing, blogging, firearms, music, frisbee golf, or whatever it may be, you need something that takes you away from reality even if it's only for five minutes or so a day.  Sometimes when I'm frustrated I think about growing my mustache back, shaving my head, getting covered in tats, and starting a punk band.  Even though that's not a very likely scenario for me in the near future, it still gets me through the day now and again.  Maybe once a week I should go home and just lay waste on my guitar.  Who cares if it sounds good.  Besides a handful of possibly upset roommates from the mangled wreckage of ill-toned guitar chords pouring out of my room with some rough, overstretched vocals following quickly behind them, I have nothing to lose.  That's my attempt at encouragement to find an outlet.  I'll try to have a follow up to this post in the near future.  I'll be holding try outs for my band next Thursday... ;) (that's not a real thing)

Movement:
     Even though I just said we need to slow down as people, I'm not saying we should stop our movement.  I have been realizing that if you want something done, you have to do it.  If you remain passive things wont just happen for you.  For years I have hoped my art would be further along than it is now.  But no matter how hard I hope it happen it's not going to unless I stop sitting on my butt, playing video games, and saying, "I don't have enough time."  Movement is what keeps made the "Greats" great.  People like the Wright brothers didn't make their dreams come true just by wanting to fly.  They put years and years into trial and error, and they had mostly errors until they finally performed the first self propelled flight ever in 1903.  (random facts for ya)  I guess my point is encourage yourself to DO your dreams instead of hoping your dreams.

     Well there you have it.  This was basically a self-motivating post, that I hope others can relate with and could potentially help if you have been in a similar, or even a less buoyant boat...

1 comment: